ORS/The Exchange supports San Juan County in educating residents and visitors on the importance of properly securing trash in or on vehicles, prior to transporting.
Washington state law RCW 46.61.655 requires every vehicle driven or moved on any public road to be constructed or loaded in a way that secures the load and any covering used.
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019 unsecured loads and road debris caused 739 deaths, 17,367 injuries and 89,915 property damage crashes across the U.S.
Before you load up your vehicle with trash and head out onto public roads, think about asking yourself these questions:
- Is there any chance of debris or cargo falling or blowing out of my vehicle?
- Is my load secured at the back, sides, and top?
- Will my load stay secure if I have to brake suddenly, hit a bump, turn a corner, or go uphill?
- If it rains, will any of my cargo break down?
- Did I double-check my load to make sure it’s secure?
- Would I feel safe if I were driving behind my vehicle?
To report an unsecured load in San Juan County you can call 360-378-4151.
Let’s work together to keep our community safe while out on the roads! Download the 7 Steps to Securing Your Load.
WATCH THIS: How to Properly Secure Your Load
from the Washington State Department of Ecology.