Here’s what you need to know about separating your glass recycling at ORS/The Exchange.
How much will it cost to recycle glass?
- Separated glass (and cardboard) will cost $3.00 per garbage can, or $150 per ton—an almost 60% discount.
- Co-mingled recyclables will remain priced at $7.00 per can and $350 per ton.
- Aluminum cans will remain free to recycle.
What types of glass can I recycle?
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars
- Glass jugs
- Window glass (NOT safety or tempered glass) broken down into pieces – please wear safety glasses and gloves when breaking glass
- Mirror glass (broken down into pieces – please wear safety glasses and gloves when breaking glass)
What should I do with the glass before I recycle it?
- All recycled glass should be EMPTY and CLEAN
- Remove all caps, lids and corks
- Removal of labels is currently optional
How do I get one of those blue glass recycling bins?
- Our free tote promo has ended. Please stay tuned for ways to purchase one.
Why should I recycle glass?
- Our new glass crushing machine will allow us to reuse all your recycled glass, right here on the island! Recycled glass will be crushed to the size of sand and used as renewable landscape and construction material. Zero waste in action!
- Crushing and re-using the glass on island means that it does not have to be sent back to the mainland—meaning less transportation, carbon, and cost.